We are aiming to harness the expertise and experience that exists within the wider LGBT+ and human rights sectors organisations, to ensure Trans Equality Together becomes as effective a coalition as possible.
As a member of the coalition, we ask and expect that your organisation will commit to:
- Challenging transphobia and promoting positive attitudes towards trans and non-binary people.
- Creating a ‘safe space’ in which people can discuss issues of relevance to the lives of trans and non-binary people. Trans Equality Together will develop a template for these ‘safe space’ conversations and share this with our members in the months to come.
- Examining and, where necessary, updating your own organisation’s policies and procedures to ensure they are fully inclusive of trans and non-binary people.
- Publicly acknowledging your membership of – and support for – Trans Equality Together (e.g. on your organisation’s website and / or social media channels).
- Adhering to Trans Equality Together’s ground rules.
Trans Equality Together’s Ground Rules
We are working to create space for a fresh, respectful and positive discussion for all people who challenge gender norms. To address polarising and divisive conduct, we have set out some ground rules. These are a work in progress and will develop as our work develops. These apply to everyone equally.
- We value equality, our shared humanity and optimism.
- We welcome those who wish to share, learn, are open-minded and honest.
- It’s okay to ask questions (even if it feels a bit obvious).
- It’s okay to make mistakes.
- It’s okay to apologise.
- It’s okay to change your mind.
- It’s not okay to be rude, interrupt or censor.
- It’s okay to feel nervous.
- It’s okay that there may be contradictions and differences between people’s personal experiences.
- We try to be brave and remember to be positive.
- We value the opportunity to share experiences, discuss our differences and find common ground.
- We respect that this is very important, personal and sensitive for every person who challenges gender norms.
To find out more about becoming a member, contact us now at: firstname.lastname@example.org